Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Traversing the Shenandoah Valley

I have been in Williamsburg, Virginia, the past six days visiting my sister, Sandy, and bonding with my sweet, little 16 month-old great niece.  Of course, in making this trip, we traveled both north and south on Interstate 81 which closely follows the trail on which those Conestoga wagons brought settlers into the southern regions of our country.  As we drove over this highway with all of its mindless traffic, I couldn’t help being keenly aware of our forefathers as they made their journey through the rough and dangerous terrain in those by-gone days.  As we were traveling south on I81 coming home, I was very much aware of the gigantic Blue Ridge Mountain range in the distant horizon on my left and the smaller ranges on my right.  The beauty of the valley with its rich “bottom land” between the two mountain ranges was quite evident. 
As I made these observations, which, for some reason, I have never done before over the past 20 plus years that we have made this trip, I immediately starting rethinking my description of the Appalachian Mountains that I had written in a previous blog.  I have edited and refined that blog post of July 19, 2011, Migration Routes and Their Effects on Settlements, in the section relating to the Appalachian Mountains.
Researching information for my family tree and for this blog has definitely created a greater appreciation for my ancestors, their hardships and toils, and for our country, its history and beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in my blog and for your comment. I have the option of allowing your comments to become public. I will not publish comments with home addresses, phone numbers, or email addresses unless the responder gives permission. I receive notification when someone adds a comment. However, I cannot reply directly to these comments. In order to see my reply, you will need to check the post again.

You may click on photos to enlarge them.