Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Eleanor, Oh, Eleanor Harbin Triplett


                Oh, Eleanor, what a strong woman you must have been and what courage you must have had.  You were born about 1730 in Virginia, and married William Triplett sometime before 1758 when your first child was born. You and your husband William Triplett had about 11 children, Micajah, Nimrod, Mason, William, Thomas, Francis, John, Priscilla, Verlinda (my 4th great grandmother), Nancy, and Jesse.  
                An on-line publication, “My Triplett Family,” indicates that Eleanor maintained the home front while her husband and sons were serving in the North Carolina militia during the Revolutionary War.  She continued their tradition on the farm of raising cattle, which became an important commodity when food became scarce during the war.  Her determination, fortitude, and courage were demonstrated when she contributed cattle to feed the troops in spite of any British retribution which may have befallen her.  In fact, according to the on-line article, she was compensated 982.10 pounds for providing beef to the soldiers.
                Family lore implies that Eleanor’s husband, William Triplett, and their two eldest sons, Micajah and Nimrod, died of the measles in 1782 in an army camp at Hanging Rock.  Did he die as family lore describes?  Pension papers filed by his son, William, indicate that the senior William may have died prior to 1780.  Data verified by the NSDAR also lead one to question whether he actually served in the militia.  Nevertheless, Eleanor is recognized for her patriotic service of providing supplies for the Revolutionary War.
                Both Eleanor Harbin Triplett and her husband, William Triplett, are identified by the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution as NSDAR Patriots.  Eleanor is identified as a patriot because of her patriotic service of furnishing supplies (food) for the cause.  William is recognized for his civil service of serving as a juror and road surveyor.  According to the NSDAR, William died about 1782 in Wilkes County, North Carolina.
Census records indicate that Eleanor apparently never remarried but remained the head of the household rearing her children on the family farm at Beaver Creek, Wilkes County, North Carolina.  She died sometime after 1830 in Wilkes County, North Carolina.
Eleanor, Oh, Eleanor Harbin Triplett, one of few females recognized as a Revolutionary War patriot, how proud your descendants are of you with such strength, fortitude, courage, and resolve!
Sources:
·        Abbott, Hortense Ethel. Tripping Down the Triplett Path: Descendants of the Triplett Families, 1982.
·        Genealogical Research System, National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution, http://services.dar.org/public/dar_research/search/?tab_id=0
·       “My Triplett Family,” http://home.earthlink.net/~bdvw/debsfamilyhistory/id1.html

               

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful story! I think we are related. I believe Elinor was my 6th great grandmother. Can we share information? I am almost done with my DAR application and would love to speak with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisa, I would love to communicate with you. I, too, am a "Daughter." If you will comment again on this post and include your email, I will NOT post the comment but will contact you via email. I look forward to hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eleanor Harbin Triplett is one of the women I greatly admire. She is my ancestor through her son Thomas and Jane Ferguson. I am trying to prove her as a patriot but don't know how to get the proof that she furnished beef for the soldiers. I live close to where Wm. and Eleanor lived in Wilkes Co. I live in the same county where Wm. and his two sons,Micajah and Nimrod died in a lookout camp on Hanging Rock Mtn. in Watauga Co. NC
    Any help would be appreciated. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason, I haven't been able to reply to my readers. I hope this goes through. I left a message for you in a new post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! My test was published. Bonnie, Here's my comment to you. March 9. 2020, To Bonnie, Thanks so much for your comment. I am a DAR daughter and the registrar of my chapter. I, too, would love to have Eleanor Harbin Triplett as one of my patriots, but I cannot prove that Verlinda Triplett who married Richard Ferguson was her daughter. Several other children have been proved as her children. If you possibly descend from one of them, all you need to do is link to another DAR member who descends from one of those children and, of course, prove your lineage to that child. You will not have to prove that Eleanor raised cattle and fed the troops because that has already been proved. Good luck. Keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I descend from Thomas, Lewis, Luke, Darby, Bertha,
      Edna, me. Thomas is b/o Verlinda.
      bonnie

      Delete
  6. I am kin to both William Triplett and Eleanor Harbin. They are my 7th Great Grandparents but I have both surnames in other parts of my family tree as well. Cherita Perkins- Davis.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest in my blog and for your comment. I have the option of allowing your comments to become public. I will not publish comments with home addresses, phone numbers, or email addresses unless the responder gives permission. I receive notification when someone adds a comment. However, I cannot reply directly to these comments. In order to see my reply, you will need to check the post again.

You may click on photos to enlarge them.