Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Happy New Year, 2013

May I take this opportunity to wish all of my readers and cousins a Happy New Year!  The past year of 2012 has been a busy one for me.  In addition to researching on the computer and at our local libraries, I have engaged in the following activities:
·        been in contact with many of my DNA matches and those of my sister and  have discovered a number of new cousins
·        attended a genealogical conference in Wytheville, Virginia
·        researched for several days in Greenville and Columbia, South Carolina, looking for my 4th great grandfather, John West
·        met for the first time my Nevada 5th cousin and DNA match, Scherry, from the Hughes side of my family
·        celebrated my 50th wedding anniversary
·        attended the McQueen reunion in Johnson City, Tennessee, where I met many cousins from my Grandmother Ada McQueen West’s family
·        visited Cumberland Gap on the Tennessee-Kentucky border where many early settlers seeking a better life crossed over into Kentucky through “the gap” which was blazed by Daniel Boone and his ax men
·        visited the Tipton-Haynes Historical Site in Johnson City, Tennessee, where I discovered my connection with the Tipton family
·        spent a day with Anne, a Tipton 4th cousin 1R
·        visited Mountain City, Tennessee, where my McQueen and Moreland ancestors lived, and researched at the county library
·        researched two days with 5th cousin Scherry in Bakersville, Mitchell County, North Carolina, where our Hughes ancestors had lived
·        attended the Christmas celebration at the Carter Mansion in Elizabethton, Tennessee, where I became acquainted with a docent, Linda, who turned out to be my 6th cousin descending from George McNeil and Mary Coats
For the New Year, I have a “bucket list” of ancestral places I want to revisit – Wilkes, Avery, Yancey, and Mitchell counties of North Carolina, and Johnson County, Tennessee, and new destinations I want to explore in Virginia – Grayson County, Winchester, and Leesburg.  Also, I resolve to work on my computer files and those 8 boxes of paper files sitting on the floor of my study.
Other New Year’s wishes are that I may discover many more “cousins” and have more contact with my blog readers.
Many thanks to those of you who follow this blog.  May you have a happy, healthy, and blessed New Year.  And, please, let me hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in my blog and for your comment. I have the option of allowing your comments to become public. I will not publish comments with home addresses, phone numbers, or email addresses unless the responder gives permission. I receive notification when someone adds a comment. However, I cannot reply directly to these comments. In order to see my reply, you will need to check the post again.

You may click on photos to enlarge them.